Farm Business Planning
Like all businesses, the most successful farms are those which have the most business and commercial acumen, and which are the most proactive in their approach to the business and the markets in which they operate.
A wide range of business planning tools and techniques are available to help farming businesses to assess their current performance and decide on the most appropriate course of action for the future.
Our experienced farm business team can help with a range of elements including:
- Assessing and establishing the business objectives
- Reviewing resources utilised by, or available to the business for example labour, land and expertise
- Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats (SWOT analysis)
- Wider potential impacts on the business – Political, Ecological, Environmental, Technical
- Current financial performance – analysis of accounts and overall capital position
- Individual enterprise performance – gross margins
- Benchmarking – comparison of key data with other farming businesses or organisations such as AHDB or the Farm Business Survey
- Consideration of potential changes i.e. new enterprises through gross margins, partial budgeting, forecast accounts including profit and loss, capital position and cash flow
- Sensitivity analysis
- Liaison with other professionals for example specialist tax advisors and accountants